Artist Journal ~ Queen Prints

Artist Journal ~ Queen Prints

I get a rush of adrenaline and joy when a print finally comes together, especially ones like the queens that were one of the first serious print projects Ive worked on and continued to expand. Getting to see not one but TWO queens fully realized in color this semester was fantastic!! SUNY Oneonta has offered me so many wonderful opportunities and much like learning how to use the laser etch machine with David Kenny to make a print he also was nice enough to spend a Friday teaching me a crash course in serigraphy (Silk Screen Printing). As that queen (Crystal Methyd, above middle) came together I remarked to David about the adrenaline rush right before printing the last layer, the black outlines. A rough image can often be seen before the final layer just based off the color blocks, but the outline layer really draws the print all together. Something I began to realize over the course of this semester, particularly after pulling the screen print, was that I’m now getting to a place where no matter the idea I have or concept I’m trying to convey I know a diverse array of printing techniques to get me what I want. The queens look best when screen printed, but Stonewall wouldn’t hold the same weight or meaning if not hand printed buy me from a block. I look forward to seeing this collection ‘The Queens of Pop Art’ continue in the future!